Download slide deck here.
The year 2020 has thrown many curve balls, from personal life through to business development we have all been forced to re-evaluate how we do things. One thing is for certain when we talk about organizations: the need to focus on your people is more important now than ever.
In this webinar we discuss how HR and Managers should work together throughout the entire employee lifecycle to continuously develop and build high-performing teams. We dive deeper into the importance of two-way communication, buy-in at a leadership level and making sure that there is clarity and alignment company-wide. Hit play and listen in to get the full details.
Here’s a complete overview of the topics covered. If you’d like to jump to a specific one, simply look at the timestamps and head to that moment in the video.
1. Building blocks (5:50)
Discussion question: "What are the building blocks of a high-performing team?"
- What does it mean to be a high-performing team (6:40)
- Building trust and accountability through alignment (7:42)
- The importance of having a clear succinct vision to obtain and ensure buy-in (8:10)
- Leading through a pandemic especially when remote (9:12)
- What role does HR play in ensuring company values and behaviors are displayed (10:49)
2. Roles and responsibilities (13:25)
Discussion question: "What are the roles and responsibilities that HR and Managers need to have in order to start solving for these gaps?"
- Defining the relationship between HR and Managers (14:08)
- Assessing your team to understand the gaps - this can be very different being remote (18:25)
- Hiring for those 'gaps' and aligning it with your company vision to build a high-performing team (19:45)
- Why communication is so important to keep everyone aligned (22:00)
- Challenges of first time managers vs experienced managers and how to support them (23:50)
- Catering to the human need by leading with empathy (26:25)
- Value and recognition and why this is even more important during remote times (27:45)
- Pitfalls of poor language when giving feedback on performance(29:30)
- Separating and selecting the right time to give recognition vs performance feedback (30:15)
3. Bridging the gap (32:30)
Discussion question: "What are some directly applicable practices HR can utilize immediately to bridge that gap with Managers?"
- How to build trust through self-disclosure (33:15)
- What HR and Managers can do to support their people in times of crisis (35:15)
- Carving out time for HR and Managers to discuss people needs (36:30)
- How Managers can create a safe space for employees to speak up and feel heard (39:12)
4. Q&A (41:58)
- What are some of the signs that you need to start hiring for those 'skills gaps' or that it is time for change? (42:20)
- How do you keep employees motivated and engaged in a remote situation? (43:54)
- How to handle difficult moments (performance dips or anxiety) in a high-performing team (48:50)
- How do you know if it is the right time to do a performance evaluation during a crisis (50:52)
We hope you found the webinar insightful, if you have a spare 2 minutes we would love your feedback on your key takeaways and suggested topics for next time.