In this webinar “The blueprint to sustainable growth: 5 phases of employee development” speakers share learnings on how investing in employees guarantees sustainable growth for companies.
This webinar is a collaboration between Sapling and Impraise. Guest speakers include HR expert from both companies, Jeff Diana, HR leader and Advisor and Agata Zasada, People and Culture leader at Bananatag, and Lisette Venema, Customer Success Manager from Impraise joining the discussion to share valuable insights.
Viewers will learn what are the challenges and best practices for each of the 5 stages - onboarding, performance, development, engagement and recognition, and brand ambassador. The guests discuss how creating a blueprint to combine all these pieces together leads to consistent and valuable employee experience.
During the webinar, actionable tips for optimizing each phase is shared. Speakers cover how a successful employee lifecycle directly impacts the growth of your organization.
Here’s a complete overview of the topics covered. If you’d like to jump to a specific one, simply look at the timestamps and head to that moment in the video.
1. Onboarding phase (6:05)
Discussion question: "Once your new hire accepts their offer - how can HR best support them to quickly get up to speed?"
- Creating onboarding workflows to balance new hires with daily workload (7:00)
- The importance of pre-boarding and best practices (7:48)
- Pre- and onboarding initiatives from Atlassian (8:55)
- Benefits and long-term value for the business and employees from setting meaningful pre- and onboarding processes in place (12:00)
- Key takeaways for setting up a successful onboarding phase to support employee development and business growth (15:53)
2. Performance phase (16:22)
Discussion question: "How have you enabled your employee for success through tools, goals, and processes?"
- What role does the manager play in this phase (16:42)
- Setting up regular 1:1s to guide the new hire to success (17:24)
- Start with the employee work and career goal setting right away (18:05)
- The role of mission, vision, and feedback in goal alignment during the employee's journey (18:40)
- How Bananatag reinvented performance management internally (23:48)
- How to balance people's work goals and career aspirations (27:30)
- Key takeaways for setting up a successful performance phase to support employee development and business growth (30:14)
3. Development phase (30:58)
Discussion question: "How do we align career development goals with business goals?"
- Avoiding the common pitfall of not doing workforce design (31:12)
- Atlassian's "career compass" (32:25)
- Creating a framework for role expectations (33:30)
- How Bananatag invests in people from a developmental side (35:15)
"Even in tough times, our worst investment would be not investing in our people"
- How to have difficult conversions with employees around career development (37:55)
- Key takeaways for setting up a successful development phase to support employee development and business growth (43:48)
4. Engagement and recognition phase (44:10)
Discussion question: "How can you further encourage performance and engagement with recognition?"
- Recognition rituals at Bananatag (44:30)
- How to treat failures and learnings (46:50)
- What are peer-to-peer recognition programs and how do they benefit each member of the organization (47:50)
- Engagement and recognition best practices from Atlassian (48:30)
- The power of personal and public recognition and praise (50:22)
5. Brand Ambassador phase (51:30)
Discussion question: "How can your employees leave as brand ambassadors?"
- What are Boomerang Employees and what's their importance (51:57)
- Why is of-boarding so important yet oftentimes neglected (54:10)
- Celebrate the employee's new gigs (54:40)
- How Atlassian built an Alumni program and how it dealt with Boomerang Employees (55:20
6. Q&A (56:20)
- How do you spot potential in employees without them actually putting their hand up? (56:23)
- Have you seen any mistakes that companies have made when with onboarding that have gone wrong? (59:59)
- A different take on OKRs by Jeff Diana (1:01:32)
We would love your feedback on your key takeaways and suggested topics for next time. Please take 2 short minutes to fill out this survey.